Selection of topic: 4:00 pm, April 1, 2020
Initial discussion: April 6, 2020
Second discussion: April 13 & 14, 2020
Back to CB508 homepage
For this assignment, you have to choose a topic from those listed below. Based on your topic, you have to suggest the separation processes involved in the process. You are expected to identify multiple processes that can cater the need. Also, in some cases, series of separation processes might have to be performed. All of them needs to be identified. Though some topics mention production process, the emphasis is on the separation techniques employed during the production, not the reaction, fermentation, or such steps.
First discussion: During the initial discussion, you are expected to identify all possible separation techniques that can be employed for the process. Based on this, a set of processes will be identified, which needs to be studied further.
Second discussion: Based on the separation processes identified during the first discussion, you are expected to do the following:
i) study the fundamentals of the process,
ii) figure out the process parameters, and
iii) determine how to choose the right parameters/conditions.
At the end of this assignment, you are expected to submit a report highlighting the following aspects:
- Various separation techniques that can be utilized for the selected process.
- Mechanistic view point of the specific separation process that the you have chosen.
- Highlight the influence of operational parameters on the process.
- Criteria for selection of the process parameters.
- Any recent development in the technique selected.
You may go through the topics provided below and then register your choice of article in the form provided below.
Please note the following while providing your option:
a) Once your option is confirmed in the form, the choice cannot be changed.
b) Each topic can be selected only by one group/student. Hence, the choices will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may see the articles that are available for your choice if you scroll down the form below.
- Insulin used for the treatment of diabetics previously used to be produced from animals. However, currently, most of it is produced from cell cultures. What are the separation processes that can be used for producing pharmaceutical grade insulin? – Insulin
- Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid which used widely in food and beverages. It is also useful as a nutraceutical. Industrial scale production of phenylalanine is from E. coli cultures. How could you produce food grade phenylalanine from bacterial culture? – Phenylalanine
- Penicillin is the first antibiotic that was discovered by Flemming. How would you produce Penicillin from fungi? – Penicillin
- For the current COVID crisis, one of the treatment technique suggested is to isolate antibodies against the virus from the people who have recovered from the disease. How could you separate any antibody from blood? – Antibody
- Efficient separation is key for an economical production of biodiesel from algae. What would be your choice of techniques for the same? – Biodiesel
- Artemisinin is an effective antimalarial drug. It was initially found from a plant Artemisia annua. Though companies are able to synthetically produce the same, still there is quite a lot of market for naturally derived artemisinin. What would be most effective method to separate it from the plant? – Artemisinin
- India is a leading exported or curcumin. Pure curcumin has so many applications in pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, and food industries. Identify the best methods for production of curcumin from Curcuma Longa. – Curcumin
- Vanilla essential oil is a highly priced commodity in food industry. What are the most efficient techniques to produce high quality vanilla essential oil? – Vanilla
- Lysozyme is an antimicrobial enzyme that is common to many animals including humans – found in saliva, human milk, tears, and mucus. It has many applications in medicine and as a biocatalyst. A major source for the same is chicken egg white. What are the processes that can be used to purify lysozyme from Chicken Egg White? – Lysozyme
- Catechin is an antioxidant that is found in tea. It has several nutraceutical applications. How would you separate catechin from green tea? – Catechin
- Alkaline protease is a common biocatalyst that has several industrial application. Find the downstream processes that is required to produce and purify alkaline protease from a bacterial culture. – Alkaline protease
- Many a time, aromatic hydrocarbons and aliphatic hydrocarbons needs to be separated for various applications. What are the techniques that will be useful for achieving a high degree of separation? – Hydrocarbons
- With the help of developments in modern medicine, we have eradicated several deadly diseases like measles and small pox. An efficient tool for this is by administrating live virus vaccine to generate antibodies in our body to make us immune. These virus are often developed in an aqueous cell or bacterial culture. To make them suitable for long term storage while preserving their protein structure and virulence, which is important for generating immunity, the virus needs to be separated and dried. How can this be achieved? – Live virus vaccine
- Monoclonal antibodies are said to be the future of biopharmaceutical drugs. What are the common separation processes used in their production? – Monoclonal antibodies
- After distillation of methanol from water, often, the alcohol might still contain some trace amounts of water. For some application where high purity methanol is required, this trace amount needs to be removed efficiently. How can this be done? – Methanol
- Dialysis of blood is a routine treatment that patients with severe renal condition has to undertake. It is basically a separation process required to separate impurities from blood. Identify the methods and processes used in this. – Dialysis
- Many organic molecules exists as stereo isomers or chiral molecules. In many applications, only one specific isomer would be enough. In certain cases, having the unwanted isomer can have serious adverse effects. In such cases, how can you purify isomers to get only one isomer? – Stereo isomers
Topic Selection form
Only submit one form per group. Once submitted, please do not attempt any re-submission.
Back to CB508 homepage